My Professional Experience
My knowledge of Personal Finance has been acquired through years of professional training, hands-on client experience, and self-learning spurred by my eternal thirst and passion for understanding money and how to make it work for me.
I am a Financial Coach/Counselor certified per NYC's Consumer Affairs Office of Financial Empowerment standards, qualifying me to work with NYC clients at Financial Empowerment (OFE) locations. In 2017 I completed over 100 counseling sessions with clients as a Financial Counselor at Bed Stuy Restoration Corporation’s OFE center. I worked on-site at Bed Stuy Restoration and off-site at the Brooklyn Public Library servicing clients. Below are pics of me ready and eager to assist clients when I worked out of the Brooklyn Central Library.
I have advised clients in the financial services industry for more than 20 years at companies like Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation, Oscar Insurance, Xerox, Talent Partners, H&R Block and Chase Mellon Shareholder Services. My roles as Financial Counselor, HR Support, Client Advisor, Payroll Processor and Budget Manager have honed my skill in assessing the needs of clients and finding a solution that works best for an individual or group based on their particular circumstances.
Each semester since 2012, I have been rehired as a non-teaching Adjunct Instructor and College Assistant at CUNY’s School of Professional Studies (SPS). I coach and guide new students online at CUNY SPS by supporting them in the simultaneous dual roles of Orientation Facilitator and Peer Mentor.
I love teaching financial literacy and have conducted many Personal Finance workshops with elementary, middle and high school students as a Junior Achievement volunteer. I've also created customized workshops on finance and leadership which I’ve presented to working adults and high school students.
My Education & Training
- CUNY Consumer and Personal Finance Counseling Certification (2017) - completed certification required by NYC Department of Consumer Affairs for OFE Financial Counselors
- CUNY School of Professional Studies - Bachelor of Arts in Sociology; minor in Developmental Psychology (2016) - Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 4.0 GPA
- Fordham Law School - Coalition for Debtor Education Volunteer Financial Educator Training Course (2014)
- Borough of Manhattan Community College - Paralegal Studies Certificate (2003)
- H&R Block - Tax Preparation Course (2000)